OUR HISTORY
Truett Memorial First Baptist Church
Celebrating Christ for 167 years!
 
 
 
The Hayesville Baptist Church was organized in 1850 and a church building was erected at the intersection of the Murphy and Hiawassee wagon roads one mile south of Hayesville. Few records are available concerning the progress of the church until 1886 at which time a young man named George W. Truett was elected clerk.
 
oldchurch
 
georgewtruett
 
As a young man, George W. Truett was converted to Christ in the Hayesville Baptist Church at the age of 19. He surrendered his heart to Christ and also surrendered his will to God for service. In 1889, Truett moved with his parents to Grayson County, Texas where he was ordained one year later by Whiteright Baptist Church. He graduated from Baylor University and was called to pastor the First Baptist Church of Dallas. Under his leadership, First Baptist Dallas grew into the largest church in the world at that time. Dr. Truett served as president of the Southern Baptist Convention from 1927-1929, and as president of the Baptist World Alliance from 1934-1939. He went to be with the Lord on July 7, 1944.
 
On January 6, 1946, the Building Committee of Hayesville Baptist Church was elected to begin a drive for a new church building. The church was to be called Truett Memorial Church. In 1947, the church voted to move the old church building over to the north side of the lot to make room for the foundation of the new church to be constructed. A dedication service was held September 10, 1950, for the newly completed church building. The guest speaker was Dr. Louis D. Newton, who was a dear friend of Dr. George W. Truett. In his remarks he stated “The men who compose the Building Committee of Truett Memorial Church should be honored in all the years ahead. They have stood by the pastor when the going was rough and made great sacrifices in helping to carry the load. With thanks and appreciation let us continue singing ‘Sail On’.”
 
 
 
oldchurch2
 
newchurch
 
 
 
 
 
In 1994 Truett’s congregation felt God calling them to expand their facilities. This new addition houses a worship center with a fellowship hall. The addition was completed in the spring of 1998 with staff offices, Sunday school classes and nursery facilities.